Sunday, June 17, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAmerica

Well, I have been back in the states for a month now and Madrid seems like a dream. "Home" is such a natural state that you forget what a different world you were in for the last five months of your life.

When I was in Madrid I kept imagining what it would be like to be home, and now its flipped. I can still see my street and all the other places I wandered daily, but it still isn't the same. I am happy to be around the people I love, but I just can't help but miss Europe. It was so different that it was scary and I definitely love the comforts of home, but it was still adventurous. Now my biggest adventure will be to put my old room back together and get a job... woohoo. Definitely not as exciting as flying to Paris for a weekend or getting lost in Barcelona.

So the life of this blog will come to an end. It was a fun few months and I hope you all enjoyed my stories. I wish I could have been more creative with my language, however, when you are immersed in another language you lose the ability to speak both. Sounds strange, but it's true.

I think I will now use this blog for the other adventures I happen to find myself in, whether it be in the states or abroad, it will always keep the theme of "American Girl In Madrid" because when you travel, no matter how hard you try, you will always be a foreigner. But whether I am in Madrid or Milan, Thailand or Japan I will always be that American girl... which is why this blog's title still stands.

So until the next adventure.... au revoir, adieu, adios, arrivederci, auf wiedersehen, cheerio, sayonara, so long


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -- Helen Keller

"No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow." -- Lin Yutang

"I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them." -- Mark Twain