Tuesday, February 6, 2007

I Understand Why They Hate Us

Give us your poor, your tired, and your huddled masses and we'll give you our loud, our obnoxious, and our annoying...

I know we all think, why do they hate us? It´s not just about war, they hated us before then. So what is it exactly? Let me first share with you, at least the Spanish way of things.

Spaniards...
1. They have been drinking since they advanced past the sippy cup
2. They are very social; however, they keep their social antics within their group and usually do not project their voices so that everyone in the surrounding area knows their business.
3. Spanish men are pigs, therefore Spanish women appear cold and heartless. It usually takes a guy like 4 hours to even get a phone number.
4. When they are in bars, they are typically not loud, and if they are... they are loud in Spanish, NOT English
5. They don´t get drunk. Notably it´s because they can easily drink their weight in alcohol, but if they do happen to get drunk, they usually cover it up.
6. Even with all the drinking I have seen ONLY 2 obese people the month I have been here, no joke. And they weren´t even that bad.

Knowing this, and also knowing that the main agenda of most students here is to be wasted 24/7, ya know, because you can´t do that in the U.S. (wtf?)

So American students, especially give a bad impression... But this list doesn’t just pertain to them.

Americans are...
1. LOUD! I am guilty of it, just try and listen to my mother and I talk on the phone, you would think we were yelling at each other.
2. They get wasted. If there is barf on the ground in the morning, it is most likely from some drunken American.
3. American girls seem like sluts. They flirt, give out numbers in a matter of minutes, and they usually get drunk and make a fool out of themselves.
4. Imagine all you knew of America was The OC and MTV. Yah, I´d think we were retards too. I even had an English woman tell me this was a major reason.
5. You can get into political and socio-economic crud. But I am not.
6. WE ARE LOUD! In bars, in the metro, on the street corner... word of advice to any travelers: if you speak English, just don´t speak it on the freaking Metro. They already stare at you. Don´t make it worse.

There should be an application process or some way in which we can revoke the passports of those incapable of keeping their loud American mouth shut on the metro. I love America, I love Europe, but they are different, people need to realize they are in a foreign country when they come and visit. However most give a horrid impression of our country.

But, I will of course try and be a good example of a cool American who doesn´t weigh over 300lbs, eat 3 square McDonalds meals a day, or who shouts across the metro car.

Chau